O Lord and master of my life...

...take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power and idle talk.
But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility


Generally, I've no business trying to explain any notions of humility that I have, except to say that I lack it. I will instead offer my sense that humility is a dangerous thing because the pursuit of it can sway one towards self-loathing (a form of pride)...The Orthodox Church (those of you within her know so already) really places a lot of emphasis on humility, but it does so in the same spirit of a properly trimmed wick in a vigil lamp as opposed to an out of control consuming fire. This is the benefit of our beloved Church, the keeper and protector of sayings like THESE.

God grant that I may take them to heart.

Comments

Popular Posts