Baptism=child abuse

Baptism=child abuse

Initially I wasn't going to say anything about THIS article, since it seemed to be just another in a long line of atheist publicity stunts. But, the quote in which infant baptism was equated with child abuse forces me to say something.

I really do not have too much trouble imagining this becoming a serious legal issue in a generation of two. More and more, I expect, exclusionary religions - no matter how nuanced their expressions - are going to be seen in a light not dissimilar to how we currently see white separatists. The state stepping in for the "good" of a child who is being indoctrinated with "hate", really isn't difficult to envision, is it? Eventually anything short of absolute moral ambiguity is going to be seen as unacceptable and deemed hate. "Hate speech" laws are already trumping free speech all over the world...it's only a matter of time.

Additionally, if these folks thing Anglicans are torturing kids with THEIR Baptism, they ought to see ours. Theirs are like "time outs" while ours are like trips to the woodshed.

Comments

mike said…
I think you have a bit of time, yet...if the state of Texas wasn't able to make anything stick against the Mormon polygamists then those who forcibly baptise their infant children without their permission are probably okay. I'm not sure what the canary in the mine is going to be and when believers should head for the hills. . . maybe churches losing their non-profit status??? I wouldn't be surprised to see more pressure there...

I forcibly took my son to a WSU football game once. He HATES football and since it was WSU football that certainly qualifies for some form of abuse.

Take care, James.
fdj said…
Yeah, as I suggested, I don't expect it to get too bad in my lifetime...and hey it might never get too bad...but then who can say: did the average Orthodox Christian villager in Russia of say 1900 expect to see an atheistic regime march in, kill their priest, and turn their church into a museum of superstition in 20 years?

No one can predict the future I suppose...but if I HAD to read the Tea leaves...well...I'd wager our descedents are in for a rough ride.

A Cougar game, eh? An ill omen for sure.
layne (herman) said…
i remember backback in the day... on PBS there was a program about Russia, and amongst the things featured was an infant baptism.

my dear Mrs was not pleased with what she saw....


fast forward years... our daughter was 4 our son was 2-- baptised Orthodox.

fast forward a few more years... our infant son was baptised in the Church.

funny how things change.
Anonymous said…
Mike said: "I'm not sure what the canary in the mine is going to be and when believers should head for the hills. . . maybe churches losing their non-profit status??? I wouldn't be surprised to see more pressure there..."

No, it's the GRANTING of the tax-exempt status that allows the fed govt to regulate church life. you wouldn't believe the controls the IRS has as a result.

The muzzling of the church's voice in any moral matter which becomes political is the most obvious. Churches could immediately recover their "voice" if they would just give up the tax benefits.

I was astonished to read the list of requirements that would need to be met for a church to give money to a poor person. You cannot just give money to a parishioner who needs help with the rent payment.

- Steve Knowlton
mike said…
Ahh, good point, Steve. It would take "that" club out of the hands of government. . .the club I really worry about are "hate" speech laws.
bob said…
Some years ago my sister was godparent to a British couple's child. The mother taught religion (unspecified, likely some dilute form of Anglicanism) in public schools, and by the way was an atheist. Just why a baptism? Well, that's what you *do* with a Brit baby. No falderal about belief needed, thanks. Actually there's more to this story about un-baptizing than my old one. A further comment might (just might!) be that no un-baptizing needs to be acquired for an Anglican because nothing happened in the first place. Like renouncing Martian citizenship.

Popular Posts