Ban High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Ban High Fructose Corn Syrup?

I recently noted people on Facebook becoming "fans of" banning High Fructose Corn Syrup. While I appreciate the sentiment (I don't particularly trust the stuff myself), I think we may be missing something here. Government meddling is precisely WHY you find the stuff in everything to begin with! The price of sugar is kept artificially high by the Feds and thus it is largely unused and replaced with the much cheaper HFCS being substituted. So don't demonize the corporations, they are simply trying to give you the product you want for a price you are willing to pay. And as we know, more and more companies are seeing a market of people willing to pay extra for real sugar. See Here for details on why sugar is so expensive.

A quick and easy solution is to read labels and pay the extra for real sugar. Or, if you want to pay a fair price for it, don't ask the government to do MORE (like a ban), ask it to do LESS and the problem is solved. Hmmmm...

Me and my corn


Comments

Peter Gardner said…
No corn syrup, no pecan pie.

Other than that, not as good.

(Though I think it's not so much that sugar is artificially expensive so much as corn syrup is artificially cheap.)
fdj said…
I'm not sure where the subsidies and tariffs exactly sit at the moment - how big was the last farm bill?!?!? - my guess is it's both.
Steve Robinson said…
which one is the corn? :)
No pecan pie? I might have to give up libertarianism.
fdj said…
S-P...there are recipes that don't include corn syrup. That said, abandon not your libertarianism, for with it you can have as much HFCS as you want!

(Remember, it's the other folks who'd have it banned.)

:)
fdj said…
By the way, I'm the fat guy on the right. (Too much HFCS)
Steve Robinson said…
LOL! One more thing to stockpile before Big Brother pulls it from the shelf. Good thing I have a big basement. :)
bob said…
What's it they say about corn; "As high as a Ferrenberg's eye by the fourth of July"? Looks like a good year.
fdj said…
Well we actually got to eat some corn, so yeah, about as good as it gets in Western WA I reckon.

Popular Posts