Orthodox Fatherhood

Orthodox Fatherhood

Like that old Foreigner song, I seriously want to know what love is. I talk about it a great deal and I tell people that I feel it in regards to them...but I don't think I really have a grasp on the PRACTICE of love. I am simply FAR FAR FAR too self-involved. Reaching beyond myself to love others sometimes feels as difficult as a drowning man who cannot swim trying to stay on the surface of the water.

I know what love LOOKS like. But day in and day out, do I practice it? Once in a great while, the cold selfish heart is stirred to warmth and love for others...but it doesn't happen enough.

I found this quote today:

God is a fire that warms and kindles the heart and inward parts.
Hence, if we feel in our hearts the cold which comes from the
devil - for the devil is cold - let us call on the Lord. He will
come to warm our hearts with perfect love, not only for Him but
also for our neighbor, and the cold of him who hates the good will
flee before the heat of His countenance.


St. Seraphim of Sarov

Without a doubt, I do NOT call on the Lord enough. So, should I expect anything to change given this?


Comments

Steve Robinson said…
Yep. If I can manage even a cheap imitation of the real thing it is a step forward. If I could pray before each sentence I speak, I'm sure I'd say things a lot differently. sigh.

Popular Posts