TBN does little to help my humility

Sometime ago I was channel surfing and (as is my custom) I paused
briefly on TBN and a new (to me) equivalent called "Daystar". One channel had
a fiery sermon being given in a gigantic plush and decidedly sterile
auditorium, and the other in a similar environment but with ecstatic
singing dancing and carrying on. Anyway...my daughter walked into the
room and I directed her to the TV and asked: "What are they doing?"

She watched for a few moments on both channels, thought about it and
shrugged her shoulders and said: "I don't know"



I smiled with a potentially sinful deviousness and said: "Neither do I."

My intent was not to judge those who were present in the scenes which
I had shown my daughter; rather I was wonderfully pleased that she did not
recognize what they were doing as church. My children will have a
thoroughly different perception of what Church means...furthermore even of
who God is.

None-the-less, I am not thoroughly ignorant. There was indeed judgement in
my heart. Lord have Mercy.... despite the acknowledgment of this fact, I am yet
glad my daughter gave the correct answer!

"The way of humility is this: self-control, prayer, and thinking yourself inferior to all
creatures."
- Abba Tithoes

I have not the slightest idea of what humility is.



Comments

Popular Posts