The trouble with Religious surveys

Well here is the story if you feel the need to read it, but the gist of the report is summed up with the following interpretation: America is becoming less of a Protestant nation.

One of the big problems with ANY survey (like any data or any passage of scripture) is that they require interpretation at all. And religious surveys are even worse, because let's face it, religious people love to avoid answering questions directly. Looking at some of the "facts" in the study:

The number of people claiming "no religion" went up 5%.

Scenerio: "Oh, no way man...I'm not religious, I have a personal relationship with Jesus." Ding Ding Ding Ding, check the box marked "no religion!"

The number of people claiming to be protestant will dip below 50% by mid decade

Scenerio: "Oh no way man...I'm not a protestant, I despise organized religion, I go to ______________ Christian Church where we simply preach the bible and salvation by grace." Ding ding ding ding, check the box marked "christian" and skip the "protestant" box.


It seems to me that this study says a whole lot of nothing and that the survey takers really do not undertsand the intricacies of the study...perhaps I am wrong, because I could not find an example of the survey - but I do know for a fact that there are many people who reject any notion of being called a protestant, and yet sure talk and believe alot like a protestant.

Never fear, Protestant America, you are still Protestant - you just dress differently and are confusing the survey takers. On a more interesting note, religious minorities (like me) grew from 3% to 7%! Yeah! Let's hear it for us Orthodox, Muslims, Eastern Religion adherents, and Native American Religion adherents. I guess we were all under "other."



Comments

Popular Posts