If Christ is not risen...

Well things are looking bleak (or bright – depending on your perspective) in the Anglican Church.

I have to say that I think it a sad commentary that it takes the ordination of a gay bishop to bring the Anglicans to this point. A split should have happened a long time ago when the ECUSA retained a bishop who denied that Jesus rose physically from the dead! How that can masquerade as Christianity is still way beyond me. And I suppose that upon further reflection it did cause a split – I left.

I guess I don’t understand why the bishop’s sexual practices are seemingly more important than his inability to uphold the fundamental truths of Christianity. And at the same time, I wonder about the apparent consistence of both issues finding union with one another.

Ought we Orthodox be doing more to show conservative Anglicans a more positive way out? A way of union, rather than division? Could we do so on some official level?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think the real problem with gathering the conservative Anglicans to the Orthodox flock would be our administrative disunity will make it hard to see our doctrinal unity.
fdj said…
I don't know Rade...as an ECUSA refugee, where doctrinal disunity is frighteningly vast, I saw Orthodox administrative disunity as a real shoulder shrugging sort of thing.

:)
fdj said…
That is true here in W. Washington Joshua...we typically see a fair amount of inter-jurisdictional celebration of feastdays and we have weekly gatherings at different parishers throughout Lent as well.

Not to downplay the absurdity of our administrative divisions, but looking back - it could be a heckuva lot worse.
Anonymous said…
It doesn't matter that the Anglican Communion has gay and women priests. The Communion will always be in danger so long as the power and ability to reason is esteemed to be of greater honor than God's revelation. The Communion is simply behaving in a Western manner, and as such will always be prone to all sorts of miseries.

Internal reconciliation covers the lesion but doesn't eradicate the cancer.
Anonymous said…
As a cradle Episcopalian, I find your comments about the ECUSA to be less bleak than my husband and I feel about the situation(s). The ECUSA can't even pass a resolution stating that we all believe the Jesus is Lord! I thought that was the whole point of being CHRISTian! We've left the ECUSA for a more conservative branch of the Anglican communion, however, that doesn't seem to be the right answer either. These folks don't quite seem to have it quite together either. If you'd educate me about Orthodoxy and what you're referring to in terms of administrative disunity, it would be most appreciated.
Thanks!!

Popular Posts