Time Warp in the Morning

I'm used to feeling tired at 5 o'clock in the mornings, but this morning as the alarm went off I felt unusually desirous for more sleep. To make matters worse, the alarm clock was not tuned to my country music station, but was instead dialed to the very end of the FM dial and was picking up heavy static mixed with "alternative" music for people who cannot decide whether they like hard core rock n' roll or rap and thus have created a horrific monster that combines both. Maybe it wasn't mixed with static - who could tell?

I staggered through my bedroom and bathroom oriented morning routine and then professed my love to my half-sleeping wife before heading downstairs to get my shoes and coffee. Killick, as is his custom, followed me downstairs - looking, as he stretched and yawned in the kitchen, as tired as I felt. If any toasted cheese was to be served, I would have to make it.

Now, as if the music weren't bad enough, the automatic timer on the coffee had not gone off and so I had to start it brewing. It gurgled and trickled away as I prepared my lunch - last day for meat, I reminded myself. The reason why the coffee had not started was staring me right in the face, but I had not seen it yet.

With lunch ready, I wondered if I had time for a reading session in the bathroom. I looked to the microwave clock and found that it still had minutes remaining from a cooking assignment the night before. Down below, the oven read: 2:17am. Then I noticed the clock on the coffee maker and it announced 2:20am. Hmmmm, I thought to myself, the power must have gone out...but...ummm...only in the kitchen??

Odd...for neither clock was blinking and the microwave was still presenting its remaining cooking time. What the heck was going on? I grabbed my watch from atop the fridge and it confirmed to my horror that it was not 5 in the morning, but 2 in the morning. Thus, whoever had tuned my alarm clock radio to the obnoxious "end" of the dial, had also added three hours to the time.

I was simply too happy to get two and a half hours of more sleep to be angry about it. I just wish I'd discovered it before I was completely ready to head out the door. Such are the everyday adventures of my life.
At least I'd not made it all the way to the park n' ride.

Comments

Popular Posts