All the Bells and Whistles

Some of the criticisms leveled at Orthodox worship is related to our externals: fancy vestments, candles, bells, censors, golden book covers etc etc..."not neccesary" we are often told, or even potential dangerous because it can lead us to focus on externals. (Actually, as a side, it's okay to focus on externals from time to time.)

So I see this story about a "mass baptism" being interrupted by a seal pup on the shore of Alki Beach. Hmmm...so I click on it and find that it is our very own post-modern mega church "Mars Hill." It's great to see 200 people get baptized (however they may understand the concept), but what struck me was what they felt was needed to literally "set up" there for this baptism. And here I was thinking they'd just head down to the beach and do it...watch the VIDEO.

I must admit, seeing a "production team" constructing a large metal framework stage as if U2 were going to perform, had me cracking up a bit. Compare and contrast with our Great Blessing of the waters where we just show up...with fancy vestments, but no electricity, drums, headgear microphones, speakers, stage lighting, video projectors/screens needed etc needed. Talk about bells and whistles.

Note what one person said about being outside: "...this just seemed much more real."

I wonder why?

Comments

Popular Posts