Ancient Church

Ancient Church

Much ado is rightly being made about the new discovery beneath St. George's Church in Jordan. St. George's was itself one of the oldest known Christian churches in the world and the rooms underneath would naturally predate it. Some news images are coming across the wire, but I've noticed the captions aren't accurate in that they seem to confuse the church above and below with one another - the exterior pics of people working amidst what is obviously a church is taken from St. George's. You'll also note in the news pics that Jordan has wasted no time in putting up an official tourists sign. (keep checking as it seems more pics are coming up all the time).

The Jordan Times has the story and pics as well.

Some even better pics can be found HERE.


I believe that this image is actually the mosaic mentioned in many of the articles translated in part as "the 70 beloved by God and Divine." So what on earth does that mean "by God and Divine"? (You can see it's context HERE.) Anyway, it certainly looks Greek to me and I've spent a solid 4 or 5 minutes trying to put my rusty one year of Koine Greek to use in translating or recognizing any of it to no avail. I wonder if perhaps the translation may better be read as "the 70 beloved by God and the Saints"? Just a thought.

Comments

bob said…
I believe this mosaic was actually found beneath the pavement in a strip mall in Poulsbo. A remarkable artifact, that has left archaeologists baffled.
fdj said…
Okay, I admit it...I wrote it. It actually says...."Beware the Obamanation of desolation and his prophet Oprahoria of Televopolis!"

Popular Posts