A Great Quote

A Great Quote:

H/T to my friend Peter Jordan

Bad times, hard times, this is what people keep saying; but let us live well, and times shall be good. We are the times: Such as we are, such are the times.

- The Blessed Saint Augustine of Hippo

It particularly struck me because we seem to have this mindset that external forces determine the quality of our "times." Sure things can get ugly "out there", but the REAL quality of life is found internally and in how we choose to live amidst whatever times we happen to find ourselves.

Comments

Steve Robinson said…
hmmmm... didn't Led Zeppelin do a song with those lyrics? :)
fdj said…
Did they really? Zeppelin was never on my radar.
Steve Robinson said…
I still like Zep's first couple albums. I thought of "Good Times, Bad Times" when I read Augustine:

In the days of my youth
I was told what it means to be a man
Now I've reached that age
I've tried to do all those things the best I can
No matter how I try
I find my way into the same old jam

Good Times, bad times, you know I've had my share
Well, my woman left home for a brown-eyed man
but I still don't seem to care.

I guess its more bluesy than theology. I'm sure one could write some good blues tunes from Augustine's "Confessions". :)

Popular Posts