A different sort of Oppositional Defiant Disorder


Being against something is remarkably easy. Being critical is remarkably easy. Therefore so much of what we see online fully engages this antithetical approach. Many podcasts/videos spend most of their time and energy in the fine art of criticism – including many Orthodox content producers who, without fail, select the very easy target of modern culture to express over and over again (ad nauseam) how much they are opposed to it. It is not at all dissimilar to the outrage feedback loop, which so dominates our culture today. The socio-political culture war is largely fueled and fought with this weapon – a firearm with no trigger pull resistance and an endless supply of ammunition.


I wonder if we shouldn't employ caution in spending too much time in such echo-chambers of negativity and criticism. It may indeed speak the truth with regards to Orthodox moral teachings, but it inevitably becomes an instigator and a vacuum of your negative energy that was intended by God to direct antagonism towards your own sins and failings. It seems to me that it perpetuates the deadly error of believing that the most egregious evil is “out there.”

I think I've discovered this to be a serious issue of concern in my life by simply considering what things I would regularly ingest via my online persona? Is it a perpetual series of antithetical expressions towards the evil around (and outside of) us? What opinions do I myself predominantly share online – have my own passions been stirred under the guise of righteousness? What monopolizes my thoughts and expressions…what themes dominate my conversations? How much time do I spend fretting about the state of the corrupt world around me, as compared to fretting over the corruption in my own heart? And more importantly: how much of my time is spent in engaging the positive? How much time is spent in embracing the beauty of my faith and the world and people around me?

Does my answer to the question of WHY I am an Orthodox Christian begin with all that I believe Orthodoxy stands against? Or with all that Orthodoxy embraces? It matters a very great deal.

Opposition, negativity, and criticism directed outwardly are all stupidly easy. Directing them towards the desires of our own hearts is FAR more difficult – but is in fact their very purpose. The former use of them almost always robs us of the energy needed for the latter application. Acquiescence, positivity, and praise contrastingly takes a great deal of work but are often far less…exciting, alas. And the difference is like a lampada filled with olive oil or gasoline.

I think St. Paul captures the essence of the positivity that I am suggesting in his epistle to the Philippians:

“Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.”

I would just ask: does your preferred content provider lead you to meditate on such things? Or are you just being led towards bitterness and anger for your “enemies”?

Comments

Popular Posts