How I was reminded of Jon Edwards

I have begun rereading CS Lewis' The Great Divorce and it reminded me that I didn't like it the first time I read it. It seemed to me that Lewis was not taking a very biblical approach to heaven and hell (which means he wasn't being literal enough nor was he perfectly matching my understanding of protestant theology.) I think what disturbed me the most was the very notion that those already "condemned" to hell could ever have the chance to get out - like Lewis' fantastical bus ride represents.

BUT, now as I come to understand Orthodox theology better Lewis' book seems to be not a fantasy writer's speculation about the after-life, but actually right in line with Eastern Christian Theology! His whole premise is basically that some people are simply unable to experience heaven - that to them, God's love and truth is too much to bear. Lovers of darkness who cannot love the light...to them the light is hellfire.

Also, I think the book would make for a wonderful movie...certainly better than any of the other rubish we have seen from Hollywood theologians.

Comments

Popular Posts