Let the Fast begin...

Jesus said: "When you Fast..." not "If you Fast..."

In the Didache we see the first sign of the Church breaking away from the traditional fasting days of Judaism by adopting a weekly Wednesday and Friday pattern - a Tradition we Orthodox continue to uphold, nearly 2000 years later. We also have several longer periods of fasting throughout the year including Lent, The Apostle's Fast, The Dormition Fast, and of course the now begun Nativity Fast.

When I was a protestant, I fasted very rarely and as I recall we typically fasted when we felt it was neccesary - usually because of some important prayer need. If, at the time, I were asked if I were trying to bargain with God by fasting I would of course vehemently deny such a thing. But honestly I cannot recall any reasoning for why I fasted back then except to say that it was biblical.

The Orthodox understanding of fasting is quite different and contains within its practice a very definitive goal and purpose. It is all about growing, challenging, and learning.God can live with or without our fasting, but we on the otherhand cannot.

I offer the following short article as an introduction. During this 40 day period of self examination and self-denial I expect to write much on such matters.

Comments

Popular Posts