Punks to Monks et al

By now most of you have heard of this movement (either by Frederica's book or from one of us bloggers), but in any event one of these punk to monk guys, Justin (John) Marler - who cowrote the book Youth of the Apocolypse - spent seven years in a Monastery before returning to the music scene in the form of a new (at the time) band called The Sabians. Their newest album is being released in the next week and it sounds pretty cool - interesting to hear Orthodox Spirituality expressed in this musical genre, but I'm down with it! (Can I say that as an old father of four who drives a minivan?!?!?!)

Also, I was introduced to Joyful Sorrow whose sound is decidedly more mellow and for this reason probably more readily appeals to my "acquired" (read: old crusty) tastes. Heather if you read this, please don't take offense at my having said that! LOL!
I like these folks...I mean, really, how can you go wrong with a pretty instrumental entitled of sarov?

We need more artistic expression of the Orthodox heart and mind in America. And they need our support: buy their stuff!
I'll ask my wife if I can.



Comments

Popular Posts