My New Ride and Age of Sail nomenclature


She carries 28 guns, she's fast, she's very maneuverable, and I am her Master and Commander (grin).

Admittedly, I sometimes feel guilty for the time I waste in entering fictitious role playing maritime worlds in order to brutally rake the stern of some poor French or American privateer - but hey, there are worse things I could be doing, right? Anyway, the HMS Saint Brigid (28) can be found patroling the waters of the Royal Navy - American Station over at Sea Lords via the games Age of Sail II and/or Age of Sail II : Privateer's Bounty.

One thing, on a more serious (or at least interesting) point that I have noticed via these games: ship names might speak volumes. The games contain a HUGE database of ships with a wide variety of historical nationalities to choose from. All of the ships listed are real ships from their respective Navies (though one ought to note that ships tended to trade hands alot - though not so much by way of desk dealings). One quickly sees that the names of vessels sailing under the blue and white of the Imperial Russian Navy frequently referenced, in some way, Christianity. Many Saints (and even "not-yet" Saints), and other religious terms (i.e. "Resurrection" and "Nazareth") are clearly present.

Contrastingly, the ships of the USA are utterly devoid of any religious connotations. This, during the time when we are being told by some that the United States was very much a "christian" nation - but they saw fit to give their ships some amazingly secular names. Perhaps this really doesn't say much at all...but the contrast was striking to me.

Now, don't go getting your panties in a wad people, I'm not trying to tout the glories of Holy Russia...but what I am saying is this: what we name(d) our ships might say something don't you think?

As a side, the HMS Saint Brigid is purely fictitious. While I tried to join the Imperial Russia Navy, it was decided because all of those presently in the IRN are actually Russian that my lingual disability might prove to be a hinderance during fleet actions. So I was assigned to my second choice, the Royal Navy - which does have a history of naming a few of his majesty's ships after saints and so as I move up the ranks toward a 1st rate Ship of the Line, my crew and I will be beseeching patron saints of the British Isles for our protection and victory.

Vespers at four bells, lads...ummm and you may leave the BOCP behind, please.


Comments

Popular Posts