CEO's on Athos - the newest rage?

Thank you to Liz for this intriguing article.

Now I admittedly do not know much about the WEF, but I will go out on a limb and say I have a great deal of reservations about the knowledge of the speaker who says that WEF in "Davos is the modern take on monastic endeavors or that "Vatopediou is the original WEF"

While I think it is a great to hear about all these "powerful" people visiting Athos, one does have to wonder about the notion of it becoming a "spiritual" retreat for the rich and famous...I mean, do you really gain anything by going to Athos and then returning to normal life with no residual yearning to continue in the life of the Orthodox Church. Don't mistake my point, I am not judging individuals, but if an apparently frequent visitor can say "Deciding on a monastery is a metaphysical management decision...the spirits, God, call it want you want, tell you what monastery to go to" I think it might perhaps be safe to say that they are not really "getting" Athos yet.

But, like a 12 step program: "Keep coming back."


Comments

joel said…
interesting! i have but one question. If Athos was established by Mary, why no women?
The answer, as to why no women on Mt Athos if it was est by the Theotokos, is that it is reserved for her alone. She alone was allowed entry, as a female, into the holy of holies -- the same with the Holy Mountain. (At least that's the way I understand it.)
fdj said…
Mary established it for monks.
Anonymous said…
weren't women at one time hidden on the island for safety's sake, during WWII or something?

Popular Posts