I am the Wet Blanket

OK, so I flung poo at Star Wars...and I still have not changed my mind. Now the world is going nuts about the new Harry Potter book and even many a blogging friend of mine are presently anxiously awaiting its arrival (an initial printing of over 10 million copies!) - some even promising to have it read in a single evening! (How on earth is THAT accomplaished???)

I've not read the books...but I've seen the movies and I pretty much yawned my way through it. I did like the music. But given that NOTHING in the movies have moved me (pun intended) and it seems that even the biggest book fans don't outright hold the films in disdain...anyone want to try and convince me why I should put down The Wine Dark Sea in favor of a tale about a boy wizard?

Somone, put me into the POP loop, will ya?

By the way Clifton, I was sorted in Gryffindor, and I guess I am very happy about that...but really did ANY Orthodox Christian answer this question differently than me?

Q4 Which of these subjects do you like best ?
-Charms
-Herbology
-Transfiguration
-Potions

And unfortunately I could not "fill in the blank" to this one:

Q2 What means would you prefer to use to stop an attacker ?
-Turn them into a toad
-Cast a Full-Body Bind Charm
-Use Devil's Snare weed to entangle them
-Throw a vial of Shrinking Potion onto them

My answer: "Throw a 900lb broadside of iron into 'em, then go straight at 'em and board 'em in the smoke!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, given that I have a) read the entire Canon, and b) have not read HP6, guess what I'm doing tomorrow. Don't call me...I'll see you at Liturgy.

Harumph.

Liz on the next block
Huw Richardson said…
The books are Christian in the same way that Narnia is. But - and its a big but - they are aimed at the same age group.

So, unless you find a need for *seriously* childlike escape, I don't think you need 'em. I enjoy being able to pick up a book - like so many bowls of popcorn - and finish it that afternoon: and all you get is some extra roughage added to the diet.

Personally, after a year of drug addicts in recovery, I'm looking forward to a day of reading a clean cut goo-vrs-evil/good wins story with some morals mixed in.
Xenia Kathryn said…
I'm not sure why the narnia/hp parallel is so often made. Yes, both deal with magic, that is true. But the witches in Narnia are actually evil, without the "redeeming" qualities of our cute little buddies at Hogwart's.
Now, I don't mean to pounce on you Huw... not at all :) I'm sure I'd enjoy Harry if I actually read the books (I saw one of the films, and it was entertaining). I guess I'm just a touch annoyed at the hysteria (I work right next to Borders, and the early birds were milling around in their wizard regalia at, oh, 6:00 pm).
joel said…
Man oh man. I tried and tried to avoid this pop hysteria for years, then a friend, noticing my pedantic book collection recommended HP...i was suspect, well, until i finished all five in two weeks. They are great fun, and she is an excellent writer.

I tried. Trust me, I tried. I am weak. A sinner.
Anonymous said…
"They are great fun, and she is an excellent writer."

I agree with Joel, James.

"How can anyone read it all in one night?" - Well, I don't know the answer to that one myself. But how did I manage to read it in just a little over two days? (I finished it this morning.) Well, they call that: VACATION!

Yeehaw!

As for you being a wet blanket? I think that's just because you enjoy being a wet blanket. :)

Have yourself another LaConner IPA, James! Cheers
Basil
Anonymous said…
I think I read mine in under 20 hours. When you're stuck on a plane between two strangers, and they're showing Miss Congeniality (again), there's plenty of time to finish Harry Potter.

Popular Posts