Random Stuff

Random Stuff

Winter is showing signs of retreat and I am so happy to see it. By the time I get back from Uganda I expect there will actually be daylight remaining when I return home after a day's work. For those who follow my wife's Farm blog you'll know more about the happenings around here...I am completely in agreement with her: I am tired of the mud. I am convinced that water in Washington this time of the year simply does not evaporate...EVER. It just is.

Sue has been very busy and has been doing a lot. She's got the new chicken coop addition nearly finished and the birds to be placed therein are nearly grown now. This means I need to ready myself to start slaughtering the old flock sometime after I get back.

As you know the big brown Suburban blew a head gasket (RIP) and the old farm Truck grew weary of going forward (RIP). We did buy a '99 Suburban, but alas we had too much trouble finding a diesel and settled for gas. But at least it is a 4x4 and it is a fleet model which is perfect for hauling messy kids, messy goats, and hay/feed etc. So for the time being I either drive in reverse around the neighborhood or we just do well enough with only one vehicle.

I've been particularly lazy lately, perhaps it is the season? I go a week at a time without seeing my homestead because it is dark from the time I leave to the time I get home and I just don't seem to have energy or motivation to do much when I get home. I need to get over that.

Uganda, as I noted looms over me. I am, for the most part, dreading it. Perhaps dread is too strong a word. A month away from home will be difficult. Sometimes very difficult I fear. Had it been a couple weeks I would probably be looking forward to it as I know it behooves me to experience what there is to experience there.

I should take this opportunity to say a few words about St. Nicholas Uganda Children's Fund. I have been in contact at length with Peter Georges who is the former OCMC Missionary to Uganda. Inspired by he and his wife's continuing burden for the suffering people of Uganda he helped to start this ministry. I commend it to you and encourage you to help in any way you can.

Uganda takes away all notions of my petty troubles. But seeing extreme poverty does nothing to heal the soul of loneliness. March cannot come quickly enough.

Comments

Popular Posts