Vocations

Vocations

It's a Wonderful Post
by Benedict Seraphim (aka Clifton).

I've been giving a good deal of thought to eternity lately. Not enough to really make any life shattering changes - though I should - but perhaps it is a beginning. So much of what we do is so futile. I was particularly considering the time we spend filling our brains with knowledge and it occurred to me what a loss it all is to simply take it to the grave. Sure we may pass it on and indeed that is a noble cause...but does such knowledge bear upon OUR personal eternity?

What efforts are we making in the here and now to prepare ourselves for eternity? So many Scriptures warn us about focusing on things that will ultimately just burn up like chaff. (You fool, this night your soul shall be required of you).

Like Clifton, I too, used to have grand plans for my life. I think that part of maturing is learning to reconcile our dreams of accomplishment with the reality of them. And true wisdom is coming to know that even the most seemingly mundane accomplishments can have powerful ripples in eternity. This should no longer surprise us. AND, it should not surprise us at all to find just how difficult are THESE accomplishments.

I believe it was Aristotle who is supposed to have said: “The greatest of victories is the victory over self."

How's that for grand accomplishments? Ripples galore.

Comments

Popular Posts