Blasphemy Day

Blasphemy Day

Definitely fodder for the ongoing culture war. As a borderline libertarian (someday I'll probably lose the "borderline") I am absolutely opposed to blasphemy laws...of course I'm also largely against "hate speech" laws too. But something struck me about this "movement" described in the article that seemed to be MORE than just seeking to support greater legal free speech. This line betrays it: "But everywhere, it seems to Lindsay, scoffing at God is not socially acceptable."

Ummm...how shall I say it: "TOO BAD." What a big cry baby. If you say something that most of society finds offensive and this results in you being ostracized...well cry me a river buddy. What do you want to do? Regulate social sensitivities?

You are free to say what you want, but people are also free to disassociate with you for saying it. If THAT's the "punishment" you wish to decry, well, too bad. You want to spend an entire day celebrating the glories of blasphemy, fine. But don't think of yourself as a tortured minority for having a low turn out. Loud mouthed jerks bent on insulting the beliefs held sacred by the majority of their population will inevitably have few friends, I'm afraid. And thus far, the government has not taken its social and diversity engineering programs to the point of forcing us to hang out with people we find distasteful.

As usual, freedom embraced, vehemently defended, and offered to all is the antidote to the never-ending and destructive culture war. Too often the libertarian is seen as an angry person demanding THEIR rights...but there is another side which people tend to forget: it's not just "Don't Tread on ME" it's also a promise that "I won't tread on YOU." So go and blaspheme freely...just not in my house, thanks.

The "Humble Libertarian" has a sort of manifesto reminding people of the softer and gentler side of libertarianism:
Proud to be a humble libertarian.

Comments

W. E. Messamore said…
Thanks for the link. (I happen to also be Eastern Orthodox- a catechumen, that is.)
fdj said…
Seriously?! Amazing "coincidence"...We should talk more!

Please email me:

james[dot]ferrenberg[at]gmail[dot]com

Popular Posts