The drug called media

The Drug called Media

Well now HERE'S a little experiment that hits close to home. While I know for a fact that I can go a day and NOT check my email or FB or blogs...a couple of days or more may be tough. I KNOW I waste far too much time with media (internet, movies, tv shows, video games etc), but in looking at the coming generation, well, I really worry for them.

When after ONE day, one of the participants can say: Honestly, this experience was probably the single worst experience I have ever had. Seriously? My goodness what a pampered breed we are offering forth to the real world. Too much time in the virtual world I guess...how on earth will these pansies ever handle REAL tragedy??? My guess is, amidst - let's say - a flood of lava approaching their house they will text the "Whitehouse.gov" and ask for a helicopter maybe? Or get online to seek advice from FEMA?

I sometimes get odd looks with regard to the extent to which my wife and I police my kids' media time. Some no doubt think us cruel or maybe brand us luddites (hypocritical ones that is), or think we cripple our kids electronic future by denying them a Facebook account (seriously!?!)...but my thinking is that the REAL world is never going away, whereas the virtual one will die in one way or another. Much of my parenting is geared toward steering my kids away from being ME. I fail on many fronts, but not on this ONE point.

Withdrawal symptoms...wow...not a good sign people.

What will we do if the power ever goes out? How much confidence do we really have that the future will be ever be "connected" and "wired"?

I am once again reminded of "The Machine Stops" by E.M. Forster. Is it becoming less and less difficult to imagine this vision from 1909 coming true? A time when we are all connected to one another through "the Machine" and it provides for all our needs?


Comments

Popular Posts