The Greatest thing we can do for our country

The Greatest thing we can do for our country

I was introduced to the Front Porch Republic by the Priest formally known as FDR. I have found myself particularly following the contributions made by John Willson who is the former professor of history at Hillsdale College (you may know it as the conservative college that accepts no federal money).

Anyway, Prof. Willson writes some great stuff...some I agree with and some I don't. But I when I read it, I knew I had to share this one article entitled "It's the Family, Stupid" from last year.

His primary proposition is simply that the very greatest thing we could do for this republic is NOT protesting, or making political contributions, voting or even (believe it or not) arguing politics online. But instead, the greatest thing we could do for our country is to nurture, love, and take care of our families.

I personally believe the we as fathers have a very particular, critical and sacred role to play in this organization called the family. We must maintain it's importance. I was particularly convicted on this point:

...if we neglect or dishonor or treat badly or disrespect our parents and wives and children, or fail to love them except with sentimental emotional ejaculations (“O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom!) our neighborhoods and kingdoms will come apart.

We look to much to government to be glue of our social fabric, as one adamantly opposed to this notion and who believes very strongly in family and local communities first, I need to live up to my values and see that doing so is far more beneficial to the future of family and community than what I do in the absurd political realm. For we will raise up sons and daughters who will share and live our values, as opposed to those espoused by the fickle world around them.





Comments

Anonymous said…
How about we just do it because a man who doesn't do it is worse than an unbeliever, no matter who he is or where or when he lives? Who gives a damn whether it's good for the country or not? What if, someday, the country says it's best to be gay, have no children, and become Muslim?
fdj said…
Well I don't think it's about what the country thinks is best for itself. I believe there is an ontological reality regarding that which is good for our neighborhoods, communities, towns, cities, states, and countries...and the point is that it begins with the family.

I think it's okay to give a damn about that. But, no, it's not the motivation. The point of the article was to suggest we pour more energy into our families than politics and that in the grand scheme this will matter more to the world than what we do in politics.

Popular Posts