Back in the Saddle Again

Today was my first day back at Liturgy since I became sick, and it was wonderful to once again enter into the warm embrace of Orthodox worship. I did, however, refrain from taking Communion because I was not properly prepared. Now, how many churches out there today have the biblical warning label on their communion? “Warning! Taking this Eucharist in an unworthy manner can be hazardous to your health.” I suppose, however, if your communion is little more than a memorial meal, this warning doesn’t make much sense – sorta like tobacco-free cigarettes.

As you can see I have changed our Icon in keeping with the upcoming remembrance of St. John the Forerunner’s beheading on Thursday. Interesting that in the East we know him more as “forerunner” rather than “baptist”, and that many icons portray him with wings, like an Angel. (Angel=messenger). It is a day of strict fasting, and for my wife and I it will be a day in which we will offer our confession before attending Liturgy that evening to take the Holy Eucharist for the first time in over a month.

Something occurs to me: Jesus said that St. John was the greatest man to walk the Earth, and yet the Bible says very little about him. Now what can we learn from this? Many of my protestant friends tell me that Mary isn’t very important because the Bible says very little about her. Hmmmm.


What’s in a name?

There’s a New Church in town! I saw their “A” frame sign on the side of the road as I drove to Liturgy this morning. It is called: “Changing Times Community Fellowship.” I think I’d feel weird about having a form of the word “change” in the name of my church, but then again I AM a recovering Episcopalian.

People say change is good, but in my old age, I have come to have my doubts. Cultural winds blow fiercely and erratically nowadays and I want to cling to a ROCK, not an aloft dandelion seed.


Comments

Popular Posts