Classifying the Orthodox...

Sometimes my lab being located at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance can make for some interesting experiences. The SCCA has a ministerial program to assist patients with their spiritual needs. This morning, as I arrived, I noticed that a display had been set up to show the varied religious holidays taking place this time of year. A hand-out was provided which gave an extensive listing of churches and their worship services throughout the Seattle area - a huge section devoted to Christian Churches, a smaller one for Jewish, and a scattering of others such as buddhist. I skimmed through it to see what listings may occur under "Eastern Orthodox."

I looked and looked and looked to no avail...no Orthodox Churches were listed under the heading "Christian." I couldn't believe it, but just as I began to be flabergasted I found the listing for two Orthodox churches. Under the heading of "Additional Faith Communities" is to be found the Orthodox, the Unitarians, and the Baha'i!!!

The Mormons are labelled by this document as "Christian" but we Eastern Orthodox are apparently not? Hmmmm....
The Epsicopalians are in with the "Christian" and we Eastern Orthodox are in with the Unitarians? Hmmm.....

Ahh such is the life...always interesting to see what people make of us Orthodox. My email to the "clergy" here at the SCCA shall be departing shortly.



Comments

Popular Posts