The Spirit of the Age

Once in awhile I'll be nonchalantly reading something of little importance, and a part of it will suddenly stand out to me as being amazingly profound. Such is the case for a small article in a newspaper left in the breakroom of our work yesterday.

The article was about the apparent falling ratings of a program on MTV called The Osbournes, which as I understand it, is a sort of "reality"series which follows what must be the astounding everyday life of a worn out heavy metal rock star and his family. I've not had the pleasure of seeing it myself...but I digress, I don't mean to post about Ozzy. What is interesting is a little statement made by MTV executives which in essence reveals the secret of their network's success:

...MTV's business model relies on quick sensations that burn out fast.

Hmmmm...I wonder if the creators of any of the programs ever on MTV were aware of this plan? But seriously, I really believe that this "business model" says volumes about our culture today. It seems to me that people - especially young people - have a life strategy that relies on quick sensations that burn out fast. And then it's on to the next sensation. We even have a tendendy to succumb to such things in our Christian life, whether it be our seeking out the latest fads in church-life or the building of an entire spirituality around "sensations."

In our reading this morning I came accross this interesting quote in Met. ANTHONY's book Beginning to Pray:

And when Christ says 'those who love me will keep my commandments' He does not say that 'if you love me you will go from one emotion into another, one state of rapture into another, one theological vision to another,' He just says 'If you believe my words, then live up to what you have received.'

Met. ANTHONY's point in this section of the book was that we should pray no matter how we feel about it. The last thing that the Christian life is is a series of quick sensations that burn out fast. There is no such thing as "MTV christianity", because christianity is about commitment, selflessness, devotion, carry one's cross, suffering, and struggle. It is hard work and Christ Himself makes it very clear what is required of anyone who would come after Him: Deny yourself. Not at all something you'd likely hear from MTV...or our culture in general.

It kinda makes me wonder: is there a complimentary relationship between quality and longevity?

Comments

Popular Posts