The Lost Boy

This was my third experience in such matters. The first involved me eventually being found by my Dad in the Mall security office while busily and apparently happily sucking down a milkshake. The second had a police officer asking me: “Are you sure you searched the whole house” at the exact moment that I noticed my “missing” daughter soundly sleeping in the corner of the living room. This third experience was a bit more frightening than these others, due in no small part to the fact that it was me being the searching parent (in contrast to the first event) and it was during the closing moments of the crowded aforementioned 4th of July parade (in contrast to the second.)

No fear can be compared to that which a parent feels when at such a crowded event they realize that they cannot find one of their children. If you do not have kids, do not even try to grasp the horror of that moment and the moments that follow.

The drama would begin shortly after my wife’s words: “Where’s Nicholas?”

As friends split and went careening through the crowds, I headed northward up the main street –parallel to the parade traffic, which had just wound down to virtually nothing. As I moved through the dispersing crowd the one thought that continually kept running through my mind was that someone was also dispersing with my little boy! I was angry, I was scared, I was full of self-hatred for being foolish enough to lose track of my own child. Every news story of every lost child you’d ever heard of passes through your mind and the realization of all the human made evils that can befall a child press you to move faster and with more urgency. In my mind and heart, there can be no mercy for evil that is committed against a child. Forgive me, but I volunteer to attach the millstone.

Interestingly enough, I am moved to seek the help of my son’s patron. As I move onward, my eyes batting to and fro, looking to catch a glimpse of his little blue shirt and shorts I ask our father Nicholas for his prayers and help. Some of you may not realize that one of Saint Nicholas’ many miracles was performed when he was lead by God to the inn of an evil innkeeper. There he found the remains of three young boys who the innkeeper had kidnapped and murdered. Well it is written that “the prayer of a righteous man availeth much”, and through the prayers of St. Nicholas the boys were restored to life. And I believe that again, some 1700 years later on July 4th, that the prayers of this blessed man once again returned a child to his parents - safe.

My cell phone sprang to life to announce to me that my beloved Nicholas had been found! I nearly collapsed in relief. Somehow, whether led by someone with evil intent or strangely by the little boy’s own curiosity, Nicholas had made it all the way across the parade route street and was found wandering alone.

The following sunday at liturgy, as is my normal habit, I brought Nicholas before the relics of his patron saint. But on this day we paused and I motioned to the icon of the saint and I told Nicholas that it was through his prayers that mommy and daddy found him safe. I then said to him: "What do we say?" As he crossed himself and leaned forward to venerate the icon and relics I heard him whisper:

“tank too.”

Teary eyed, I offered my thanks as well…still do.

Now…about toddler leashes….


Comments

Popular Posts