Yin, Yang, and salvation by works

I recall in my classes while studying Asian religions to generally try and avoid perceiving the Yin and the Yang as exclusively female and male respectively. None-the-less, it is difficult not to see the parallels, if from no other point of view – certainly in a sexual sense. The Yin is generally characterized by receptivity (the feminine power) and the Yang by assertiveness (the masculine power). The word "power" was not unintentionally used in my textbook, I think.

In this train of thought, I find myself thinking about how we are saved, and specifically how as Orthodox we affirm the existence of our role in the process and yet wholly believe that we cannot save ourselves and that ultimately it is God who saves us. It seems to me that being a recipient can certainly be an active thing.

We must make an effort (yea, even STRIVE) to be receptive to that salvific assertiveness – so wonderfully made manifest through the incarnation. It is leading me to ponder the idea of asceticism as being a form of submission and receptivity. I sense a certain truth there.

Do you suppose this may be part of the reason that we hold to the notion of God as Groom and his Church as Bride?


Comments

Popular Posts