Yes, Virginia, there are clown liturgies

Thanks to my friend Kari...

The best documentary evidence for the existance of these strange phenomena that I have ever seen. Frightening, exciting, humorous, pointless and indescribable. Make sure to look at all evidence contained therein...I especially appreciated the rector's letter which said they were going to " 'do church' " sort of like how my kids "play house" I suppose. Also note that we are directed to a related link in which it is purported that the justification for this is in part because St. Paul calls Christianity "foolishness." Ummm...yeah right...what St. Paul meant though is quite different than a clown liturgy...the REGULAR liturgy is foolishness to the world people! The Resurrection is foolishness to the world, people! So the ECUSA has a clown liturgy to show the world how foolish they are...meanwhile they ordain bishops who deny the resurrection to show Christians how foolish they are.

The Smoking Gun is here.

I promise not to offer any further cynical or snide judgements...go and wonder at it all yourself. Sometimes I miss the fun that Episcopalians have, don't you? (wink).

Comments

Anonymous said…
These things surface from time to time. It always leaves one at a loss for words. It certainly shows how utterly fruitless "dialog" with such folks is. What you don't have is theological differences, for they *have* no theology. You have a roomful of rich (very) folks who would be quite surprised if you suggested they wear pants in public, not to mention not dressing as a clown in the wrong places. This is charitable to say about them, because if I accused them of being in some sense CHristian, this performance would be blasphemous and they ought to know better. However, they have no way of knowing the difference between reverence and blasphemy. At least the sin is less. -- Bob Koch
existentialist said…
What? This is ridiculous. I never spent time in the Episcopal church. I thought they were respectable. What is going on here?
Anonymous said…
Uh, this certainly makes me want to make hurrumphing noises. On the other hand, we could actually take it as judgement on ourselves. Does my life bear witness to Christ in such a way as to discourage clown liturgies? Not today at any rate.

-Rick
fdj said…
Much of my life is a clown liturgy...so I've no need to "do church" that way.

:)
Anonymous said…
Clown liturgies are also to be found within Catholicism. See this link: http://www.stjosephsmen.com/letters/clownmass.htm

Popular Posts