Wisked away!

No sooner had I arrived home - just about anyway - I was whisked away with most of the family "on the next block" to go camping at Ohanapecosh in the Mt. Rainier National Park, for what turned out to be a beautiful weekend. (A very goiod thing, because the mountain really does make its own weather and I have had some real ugly drenchers in the park before). As coincidence (or not) would have it, an Orthodox family was also there, whose daughters my daughter knew from the monastic summer camp. We met them - appropriately enough - at the "Grove of the Patriarchs: and would later have a brief chance to talk some (it's hard work to camp with four small kids!) Anyway we got to share some of our journey to the Church with them and an inquiring friend of theirs who recognized me from Paradosis here.

It always sets me on edge a little when I hear about inquirers reading Paradosis, and while this particular one is blessed with a close Orthodox friend, I sometimes worry about my rambling and ranting here and what negative impact I may have on those who are inquiring by Google. If that's you, please stop and go find a real parish and real people.

Overall it was great trip, certainly better than other trips when the kids were even younger. With one instance in which I thought I'd lost Nicholas (which sent me into fits recalling a particular 4th of July Parade - he'd actually gone to the bathroom by himself!) as an exception, it was otherwise a very enjoyable time. It might have even have restored my faith in the possibility of camping being fun with little kids - as opposed to a condemnation to hard labor.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Three adults, two teens, and eight kids...who'da thunk it? But we survived, and had a great time doing it. Can't wait for the river in a few weeks!

Liz on the next block

Popular Posts