Pride

While I’d rather like to think that I am devoid of this vice, I hope I know b better. Pride can be exceptionally well hidden – like a tick on a dog (an analogy I derive from my Kentucky heritage)

Perhaps you have heard this story of St. Marcarius the Great. A couple months ago, either from our matins “story time” or perhaps a sermon, it was the frist time I had heard it. While I will no doubt forget some of the details, the jist of it I believe I can relate to you here now.

The renowned Abba lived outside a village, and the people would often go to him for advice and spiritual guidance. One day a young lady from the village became pregnant and because she was greatly afraid of getting her boyfriend in trouble, she lied and claimed that the Marcarius was the father.

The village citizens were enraged and grabbed the poor monk and dragged him through the town. They hurled insults, fists, garbage and rocks at him – and laid upon him complete and utter humiliation. All of which he bore without offering a word in his defense. As I recall, they also made him work to support the child who would soon come. And again, the man made no defense for himself.

After sometime, the girl was in the midst of a difficult delivery and she blurted the truth out. The people of the village were of course terribly regretful of what they had done and were astonished to recall that the monk never defended himself, but relied rather on God to be his defender. And so they people planned to make it up to the poor man as best they could. They set out to go to Abba Marcarius.

At this point, I was thinking to myself: wow, what an amazing man. What an incredible trial to go through – and not to defend yourself against such horrible charges! This coming moment of triumph and restoration of prestige would make a wonderful crescendo to a movie!

St. Marcarius, however, had heard of the blossoming events in the village, and when the delegation arrived they found that the monk had fled rather than face the dangers of his triumph and renewed prestige.

Even when we are absolutely justified, right, and perhaps even falsely accused...pride can kill us and ought to be avoided. Now that's a tough check to cash at the bank...see if you can't find some place in your life where you'd rather not apply this lesson. Orthodoxy hurts when you let it get beyond the intellectual exercise thereof.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for reminding me of this story. It does remind me of why I try to keep Orthodoxy a strictly intellectual affair.

-Rick
Susan Sophia said…
It is a great story that I do remember told in a homily. One small detail, which probably doesn't matter to your point but a pretty amazing detail none-the-less. The reason why she blurted out the truth was because the baby would not deliver. After hours and hours it was like the baby had hit a wall and would not come out. She she blurted out the truth and after that the baby delivered.

Popular Posts