Don't forget to recognize the little crosses you refuse to carry

Don't forget to recognize the little crosses you refuse to carry

Fr. C's homily today could have been written for as a rebuke for my morning. I was terribly grieved to learn that I was going to be late in order to run a necessary errand for my daughter. I acted like a jerk. Apparently I was only thinking about big crosses (as if I really want one of those????) and was neglecting the everyday crosses I am called to joyfully take up.

It's unfortunate that the term martyr is popularly used these days to describe a whiner desperate for sympathy they don't deserve. That's not our motivation for taking up our crosses at all. It's a privilege. So, open my selfish eyes Lord.

The life of a Christian is ALWAYS martyric and every moment contains a decision to be made in that regard.

Comments

Steve Robinson said…
Amen. "Family crosses" don't feed our prelest that we are capable of "real" martyrdom. They are our harshest reality check and our truest cross that we continually avoid while shopping for one that looks cooler to the public.

Popular Posts