The People's Liquor Store

The People's Liquor Store

Yes, here in Washington we must go to state run liquor stores in order to purchase our spirits. LAME. (Yes cue the MUSIC.) Nothing irks me more than a monopoly (i.e. how many choices do I have for phone service or cable?) except a monopoly run by the government, for reasons that ought to be obvious: in the case of liquor stores, I break a law by having spirits shipped to me, while I'm yet free from corporate police who might rush in when I cancel my land line and use a cell provider alone for my phone service. In any event, a while back I found this:



And then THIS bit of hopeful news. Well...hopeful for a second or two anyway, since no sooner had the bill come into existence than it was shelved. Gregoire dodges the issue by claiming it doesn't immediately answer the budget crisis...well duh who cares about that! This is an issue of FREEDOM, not your screwed up budget. I mean if you want to use that as a point of leverage with those who don;t care about freedom, then fine...but the fact is I should be able to go to Walmart and buy a case of beef jerky, some spanish peanuts, a new Wii game, some lemons, and a bottle of Single Barrel Evan Williams Bourbon ON SALE in order to compete with the same product down the road at Albertson's supermarket. I should not have to go to the booze equivalent of the DMV where there is NO competition, terrible inventory selection, and never a decent sale.

Ironically, they do actually have sales each month ("temporary price reductions") and I always laugh because it's sorta like they are pretending to be a real store than needs to have sales to COMPETE. I always tend to think about trapped rodents being given a sedative to get them not to panic about being trapped..."just pretend it's a real store!"

And the horrors of underage liquor sales! GASP! The populations in states where private companies can sell must be destitute suffering under such dangers. Drunken teens (which are never found in Washington) are no doubt rampant in the streets of California...pillaging and causing mayhem (because, as we all know, only the state can truly oversee our children.)

Okay...rant finished. I wish I lived near a border to a FREE country state, but as you can see on the map in the video, the entire PacNW is a bastion of liquor controlled statism...at least we can feel safe.

Gonna ask my wife to stock up while she's down south in March.

Comments

Christopher said…
Having reached my majority in WA, I thought every place was like here. Walking into a beverages and more in CA was a major shock. It was like alcoholic mecca.
fdj said…
LOL! Yeah I was just the opposite... having been raised in So. Cal. I still recall learning that I had to deal with the state to buy bourbon and my first trip to a state store. It was so strange.
Anonymous said…
sounds like a business opportunity - a wee bit of smuggling? LOL! Rage against the machine, er, state!
I was raised in Las Vegas, Nevada where anything and everything was/is available - moving to Colorado was a SHOCK - with the blue laws being so apparent- no car dealers open on Sunday, 7-11's actually were not 24 hours back in the day...
its a crazed world.

Popular Posts