Holy Saint Nektarios, Pray unto God for us Bloggers...

So suggests Karl. Amen (3x).

Some excerpts from his writings, along with a very brief life story may be found here.

I am particulalry struck by this one

Christian religion is not a certain philosophic system, about which learned men, trained in metaphysical studies, argue and then either espouse or reject, according to the opinion each one has formed. It is faith, established in the souls of men, which ought to be spread to the many and be maintained in their consciousnesses.

There are truths in Christianity that are above out intellectual comprehension, incapable of being grasped by the finite mind of man. Our intellect takes cognizance of them, becomes convinced of their reality, and testifies about their supernatural existence.

Christianity is a religion of revelation. The Divine reveals its glory only to those who have been perfected through virtue. Christianity teaches perfection through virtue and demands that its followers become holy and perfect.


I know it is perhaps a bit overly emphasized here on Paradosis, but believe me that such things are salvific for me. I was one who so prided himself on being well read and educated (in reality I'm not all that well read or educated), but all my Christian head knowledge (both supposed and real) lended nothing to my personal holiness. My goodness! How many times have I been on my Protestant knees begging God to miraculously change my desires and make me holy...but nothing ever changed. All my life was simply a grueling and perpetual rerun of sin and then begging for forgiveness. I had this ingrained belief that as long as I held the right beliefs that God would work the change in me. In what way was I wrong? Did I hold the wrong beliefs to begin with or was my belief in that aforementioned belief (that God would change me) wrong?

Orthodoxy hasn't ended this struggle against sin! It has not made me a holier person, it's merely opened my eyes to the reality of the fight that goes on right in front of me...not just the "Piercing the Darkness" kind of fight, but more than that: the physical fight that rages in both of these hands that bang away (painfully - see next post) on this keyboard. I am made aware of the need for ME to enter into this battle as the MAIN focus of my Christian life. To struggle to be perfect as He is perfect.

Yes, Holy Saint Nektarios, pray for us bloggers...not only that we might testify to the beauty of Orthodoxy, but that we may also mimic you in your Holy pursuit of and struggle for Purification, Illumination, and Deification.

Comments

Popular Posts