A rare moment of humility

Last night my wife and I were engaged in a rather deep conversation - mostly revolving around some of the crazy things that people (read: me) do. I am the type of person who can easily get obsessed with something: a computer game, a hobby, a sport, a TV show, a movie, you name it. Computer games probably top the list and in a rare moment of honesty here on Paradosis I can say that on more than one occasion I have gotten so obsessed that I began to allow my gameplay to interfere with everyday life. Staying up to all hours of the night and then being grumpy with my family the next day because of my lack of sleep. Neglecting social opportunities with friends in lieu of some good game time! Sometimes even calling in sick because of being too tired and for craving the opportunity to play the game. Almost like a drug. Hopefully I am not alone in this sort of behavior...perhaps I have an addictive personality?

But the main point I made last night is that sometimes I can get to the point where I know that what I am doing is nuts, I know that I am neglecting my responsibilities, and I know that what I am doing is self-destructive...and yet I continue. More than that, anyone (but particularly those who are close to me and might realize that I am "off the wagon") who happens to make even the most vague, benign, or innocent comment (e.g. "Gee, you look tired?") can suddenly become the victim of my own self-anger. Pretty much anything that reminds me of the fact that I have allowed myself to become a slacker is looked upon with disdain. It's kinda like the whole "Nobody but me can pick on my little sister" syndrome. It's fine for me to recognize the hole I've dug myself into, but damn anyone else who reminds me of this fact - whether they intended to or not. I can recall one time when my wife and kids took a trip to Minnesota and I had to stay home, I was literally and frequently forgetting to eat because I had become so enraptured by a game called "Medal of Honor." And on one occasion when my wife called me she asked simply what I had had for dinner and it pissed me off, no doubt much to her dismay.

It is really sad how such stupid things can screw up such important things.

As I finished my little bit of confession, my wife said, "You know, you really are a wise person."

"Sure," I laughed, "I am a bastion of wisdom...unapplied."

Trying not to feel proud of my wife's comment, but tacking on a dose of humility probably just makes me feel more proud...ah hell...who can escape THAT vicious circle. Just get to bed.

Comments

Alana said…
Ah, you are not alone! It's a guy thing, I think. I could NEVER get away with it.
Thomas Ham said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thomas Ham said…
I used to be a Counter-Strike, Starcraft and Hyperiums fanatic! Thank God I put that down, my life was consumed with that damned computer game. I really think it might be a "guy thing" just as Alana said.
joel said…
i got rid of my TV to focus on life and studies and, in turn, bought Splinter Cell 2...briliant. Bloody brilliant. So, I am on a no video game while in school sort of fast. Video games, I agree with the lot of you, they are an obsession; and i agree with the even greater point of deflection due to complacency. I am offender #1. As the other great sin has freed me of its grasp of late, this one has reared its rooted head. Ah, a defensive nature is so unbecoming.

Oh, after finals, we will pick up the discussion of definition and obligation. The US is not entirely responsible for what ails the Near East, however, like any great hegemonic neo-imperialist power, they do hold a certain responsibility. It would be difficult to think, especially in our understanding of Christ, that we are even remotely humanitarian in nature and functional by chance. And second, it would be more misdirected to blame Islam for all the issues over there when their struggles have, in large part, stemmed from the crusades into the French and British capitulation's. If we are to believe Fukuyama's claim that democracy has, in fact, ended history, than we must also purpose that the US will, in turn, become the great definer of global legitimacy. Is that a good thing...the US just might be the greatest and most efficient purveyor of sin ever. Anyway, things to think about and wrestle with.

Sorry, about that. I am on a tangent and need to write about Nasser's Egypt in the wake of decolonization.

james, this is a pleasant addition to my internet journey's. I just hope my "incoherent babble" allows for proper discussion. as to spare your faithful attendees, this might be better served via e-mail.

a stupid ass, joel
Thomas Ham said…
"incoherent babble"

dude, you owe me 10 bucks.

Word Mark: INCOHERENT BABBLE
Standard Characters: CLAIMED
Mark Drawing Code: (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number: 78391565
Filing Date: March 26, 2004
Owner (APPLICANT) THOMAS JOHN HAM
Type of Mark: TRADEMARK
Register: PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE
fdj said…
Joel...you never answered me: what are you doing in Boston? What school? What are you studying?

Happy to take the discussion to email if you have the time. Definately give Bernard Lewis a read - several reads actually. (He's written a lot) In regards to the light of Christ shining upon our notion of our nation's behavior I would just offer that the American governement is a not a Christian, it has not been baptized into the faith, it does not recognize the authority of the Church, it does not affirm the Symbol of our Faith, it does not fast and feast with the Saints of old, and it does not attend Liturgy - regularly partaking of the Body and Blood. Therefore, I cannot expect that a non-Christian would behave in the same way that I (we) are expected to behave. Certainly no more that I would expect Microsoft to behave like a Christian. Being arguably the MOST pluralistic society on earth, I would argue that the BEST we can expect from America is the protection of the interests of America and the fostering of an environment that will benefit the people of America. Indeed, this is a government's job and duty, no? Jesus demanded nothing from the behavior of the Roman government. Toss in a few good deeds inspired by what remains of our cultural conscience and you pretty much see a picture of American foreign policy. Not evil as Islamicists claim, but rather clumsy, a little selfish, and utterly confused by dealings with the Middle East. (And really, who isn't confused by their dealings with the Middle East?)

The Crusades? Oh, you mean the War against Muslim Aggression? (save the 4th)

Islam and Islamic culture, while obviously not the sole cause of all the strife - it nonetheless seems to me to be the flammable fuel to which other issues have brought a spark. Many countries have been colonized and many countries have suffered under the burden of American self-interest...but only those of the Islamic persuasion who have been victimized by America decide to fly planes into buildings. I recently heard Lazar over at Islamitics make a good point: if it isn't the religion that is the root of the violence, where are the CHRISTIAN Palestinian suicide bombers?

"the US just might be the greatest and most efficient purveyor of sin ever"

Strong words my friend. Prior to communion we Orthodox say a prayer that in essence confesses that I am the "greatest and most efficient perveyor of sin ever"

Feel free to email me here:
irenaios[at]comcast[dot]net

Hey Thomas (assuming you've read this far) you went to Chino High School? Do I know you?
Thomas Ham said…
i definitely don't know you from high school, due to the fact i'm slightly younger than all you old fougies. i met you via-email when you replied to all with bryan and tiffany hellum's email. i'm also buddies with your little english elementary school teacher friend matt clark.

Popular Posts