Saving the World

I eventually grew to become a really socially conscious Christian. I adored Ron Sider and can still to this day remember reading "Rich Christians..." for the first time. Whereas before, saving the world meant getting everyone on the planet to say the “sinner’s prayer” (AND MEAN IT!), after my enlightenment it seemed to me that it was equally important to make sure that everyone was well fed and had a nice house to live in. Later, when I realized that I could not remain on track toward ordination in the Assemblies of God I was, in no small way, adrift…not knowing how to fulfill the Great Commission.

But still wanting to “save the world” I starting studying medical lab science in the hopes of taking any skills I might learn to third world countries – or something along those lines. I’m really not sure where my hopes (we used to say “calling”) for ordination went. Anyway, my newfound membership in the ECUSA fully supported my quest for fulfilling the gospel of social action.

But, like my quest for ordination, my aspirations of being a new Mother Theresa were postponed (or dissolved?) because I fell in love and married my wife. Then, kids started mysteriously arriving. Next thing I know, my social conscience is being ministered to by “advancing knowledge and saving lives” at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. Not precisely what I had envisioned.

But the other night I was sitting and doing nothing in my easy chair. I began to ponder my occassional heartfelt deisre to “save the world” and “make a difference.” As I did, a little voice asked, “Daddy, can I have a drink of water?”

I smile now as I write, for you see in reality, I have in my care not one world to save, not one difference to be made – but FOUR! Man, talk about not seeing the forest through the trees, that small voice was a whirlwind out of which a much louder and more powerful voice revealed my pride, my stupidity, and my potential. No, not mine…their potential. I was sinning by squinting and looking out across the oceans for a way to satisfy my social conscience, while all along, playing at my feet were four amazing lives that needed more attention from that very same social conscience.

Parenthood is THE single most powerful discipleship and charity “program” on the planet. It’s time that I get that through my thick skull and start taking that responsibility seriously. I may not be a priest or a Mother Theresa, but I am a Dad and everyday I can chose to be a terrible, mediocre, or an amazing one - a life changing one!


Comments

Karl said…
"I may not be a priest or a Mother Theresa, but I am a Dad and everyday I can chose to be a terrible, mediocre, or an amazing one - a life changing one!"

Amen! That is my prayer as well.
Anonymous said…
But you are a priest, though not one ordained. Isn't it Orthodox teaching that the man is the priest of the home, home is a little church. Therefore you emulate all that it means to be a Godly man. You are teaching your children how to be a Dad and a husband. Scary when you think about it. And studies prove that the single most influential male role model in a child's life is their father.

It is always amazing to me how people want to run overseas to "do ministry" et al, when the greatest need for ministry is right on their doorstep. However that isn't quite as glamorous. But in my mind, it's more important.
Karl said…
I know St. John Chyrsostom writes about it in his book "On Marriage and Family Life"

A must read, IMO, for all of us lay-Orthodox parents and soon-to-be-marrieds...
fdj said…
Thank you Philippa, you have captured my thoughts exactly.

You know Seraphim, off the top of my head I cannot recall specific references, but I know they are out there...I seem to recall that the service for the blessing of a house is modeled somewhat on the consecration of a church and so in a sense the home is seen as a "little Church". And there are many other curious and wonderful parallels.

I wish to pursue this notion and will post more on it later.
Fr. David said…
Well said.

Was sure as an Evangelical I was bound for Latin America to evangelize. Now I'm a father-to-be (Lord willing) and a Spanish teacher in Fort Worth and, while that's not to say that we CAN'T become missionaries, my first responsibility is to my family here.

Great post, James.

Popular Posts