Strange Traditions

Okay, so I do have to make note of this one:



"Rival" Parishes on the Aegean island of Chios fire off homemade rockets in the hopes of hitting the other church's belltower. I presume it is all in good fun....but geesh...wonder if they get extra credit for starting a fire!

Well you know that Orthodox Churches often are loosely designed to look like ships and some of their architectural nomenclature is founded on nautical terminolgy, so why not install a gundeck? Hey I'll bet with some 32lb carronades we could pummel that german ship "Gloria Dei" down the road.

Oh yes...let us forget the Paschal feast this afternoon...RUN UP THE COLORS AND BEAT TO QUARTERS!

FIRE AS THEY BEAR!


Comments

layne (herman) said…
i am adding this one to my list of reasons why kids love being Orthodox-- this list includes (but is not limited to):
-fire (candles).
-can lay down on the floor in Church.
-sometimes the Priest throws water on you.
-sometimes the Priest throws leaves on you.
-make noise (bells), even when it is dark out.

Christ is Risen! Indeed, He is Risen!
Anonymous said…
Hah!
Now I know what I am doing with all my left-over 4th of July rockets next Pascha. I'll just need to rig up some sort of launching rack in the bed of my pickup...
St. Paul's dome is TOAST!
And when the Brier police pull me over I'll sue for violating my freedom of religion!

- Captain of the St. Sava Paschal Rocketry Team
Munkee said…
Hold fast!!!!
layne (herman) said…
Do we need to now address Radoje as Captain?? :)
fdj said…
Captain Rade? Sure, as long as you recall who has both shoulders covered.

Post-Captain Irenaios, RN
HMS Saint Columba (44)

Popular Posts