Reality Check

Yesterday after going to Liturgy for the Feast of the Dormition at St. Spiridon's we stopped at the Grocery Store in order to get some meat for a little BBQ celebration. My wife went into the store while myself and the vanload of kids sat semi-patiently waiting.

I suddenly noticed thick black smoke rising up on the other side of some trees in front of us and the sound of sirens soon made it clear that something serious was happening. As multiple convoys of fire engines sped past the store parking lot my kids were begging that we go and see what was happening.

We watched as the smoke plume continued, until my wife arrived and we went home. I had no idea that as we sat there watching in the comfort of our air conditioned van that two little boys (four and six years old) were dying in that fire. I feel pretty bad not for a moment letting the signs of smoke and sirens clue me in to the potential for suffering...maybe it says something about me?

We are so oblivious sometimes...so caught up with our minuscule little problems that we take to be so horrific. Working in a environment where most everyday I meet people who are battling for their lives with cancer - sometimes even little kids - gives me an all too brief reality check. Most of us have so very much to be thankfull for and I think we sin in not seeing past our own stupid eyelids.

Anyway, may the boys' memory be eternal and the family find peace.

Comments

Mimi said…
May their Memories be Eternal. How horrible.

Popular Posts