The de-parenting of America

Dawn emailed me this brief article which references THIS sad report on the state of parenting in America.

Why are more and more American's opting not to have kids, I'd wager that many of us know couples who have decided to do just that. In fact, before my wife came along you could have lumped me into the same pile of people committed to never being burdened by children.

I confess...I was (and am still in many ways) a selfish prig. As you regulars well know, I believe my children are saving me and hopefully I am not in turn ruining them. (Lord have mercy...and James have patience).

People are not having kids because they are simply too busy and too selfish. To wrapped up in living life for themselves and by themselves. We have no community and Hilary's vision of a "village" is more akin to an indoctrination camp. Some would argue that since we are so busy and so selfish then it is good that we are not having kids...okay fine...

But the bigger ramifications of people not having kids is that parents are fast becoming an electoral minority. We are losing our political clout and if the current political trends continue we can soon expect people who have no wish to have kids of their own to start legislating how they think we ought to be raising ours. It takes a village ya know?

As this guy notes from the report:

Among the effects, they predict, will be decreased political support for parents -- who already make up less than 40 percent of the electorate -- and more cultural hostility

One of my biggest pet peeves is the government stepping in between parents and children. I can see in cases of abuse, but we are certainly seeing trends toward much more than that. Now I am not one of those UN fearing wackos...but what is happening in Belgium is a little scary.

Brussels Journal Editor Threatened with Prosecution over Homeschooling

UN Crackdown on Homeschoolers?

A UN declaration of Human Rights interfering with a homeschooling family in Brussels? Whodathunkit? I wonder how that declaration will be enforced in the middle east?

I don't expect to see my vouchers coming anytime soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Our school district has repeatedly failed our recent levy attempts. I had a co-worker tell me she didn't have children so didn't feel she should pay more taxes for education. I wondered if she realizes how close that attitude is to suggesting a segregated community.
-julie
Stacy said…
She doesn't feel that her money should go for education? Ask her how she feels about her tax money going to wellfare and prisons. Ask her how she feels about other people paying taxes so there can be a paved road in front of her house. The list could go on and on. Is she educated? Who paid for her education?


On another note...

I now of plenty of young women who are dying to have babies... but men don't want them. They are educated, beautiful young women. I think the break-down in couples not wanting to be parents is way more pervasive than it seems.
Stacy said…
now = know

...and I'm sure the same goes in reverse for men. The point is that the problem is wickedly pervasive.

Anyway...
fdj said…
Julie...that attitude of your coworker is astonishing to me...but I suppose if you have no vested interest or concern about the future of your society/culture...well then, why you should you "in"vest.

Stacy, you may be right...it'd be interesting to see how the feelings with regard to children breaks down according to the sexes.

Popular Posts