Scriptures

I have been spending more time lately reading the New Testament, and last night I found two fantastic verses in St. Paul's epistle to the Hebrews. Finding it to be particularly Paschal - in the eastern understanding, and it made me wonder what I might have thought of it in the past.

So I thumbed through my old leather bound NIV Student Bible - utterly ridden with notes and underlines - to see what I might have written about it. Now, you ought to know that I was an underlining freak - I'd wager that more verses in my Bible were underlined than weren't. Anyway, vast amounts of underlining surrounded these particularly verses, but they themselves were untouched and uncommented upon.


Hebrews 2:14,15
Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

It's funny how persepctives change...to me today, this statement is paramount, but years ago it either confused me or left me generally unimpressed.

Comments

Chris Jones said…
I don't underline the Bible (it seems impious to me; isn't the Bible the verbal icon of the Saviour, to be venerated, not scribbled upon?). But if I did, Hb 2.14-15 would definitely be highlighted for me.

Your comments inspired me to write a little bit about it on my weblog today.
fdj said…
lol...honestly I'd not thought about writing in the Bible as being potentially disrespectful. It's funny isn't it? A hard core sola scriptura kinda guy - "God's INFALLIBLE Word" and all - and yet I fill it with words of my own and really ascribed little more material worth to it than what I paid Zondervan for it. In fact I recall debating the "issue" of showing too much respect to "just a book." We just didn't understand it, I suppose.

Of course, I can also see how it made complete sense - at that time - for me to feel perfectly worthy to add my words and thoughts to the scriptures. I reckon we all have a tendency to do that - whether literally or not...and certainly a strict sola scriptura view of authority requires it to some varying degrees.

Haven't done it (written in the Bible)in more than a decade now I reckon. Another perspective change.
Addai said…
That looks like a good one to remember about the real presence of Christ in Eucharist, when talking to Protestants (besides the usual "Words of institution" that tend to be disregarded/ re-interpreted).
Mimi said…
I've had the same bible since I was 12 (although, It's ready to be retired, as it is in several pieces - I have a new one on order and am anxiously awaiting the entire Orthodox Study Bible) but what I love is the history of my faith journey in my underlinings and notes.
Fr. David said…
Funny...I just thought about that verse a few days ago.

Popular Posts