How are our schoolsdoing?

How are our schools doing?

So, in 2006 "the Intercollegiate Studies Institute’s (ISI) National Civic Literacy Board, conducted a survey of some 14,000 freshmen and seniors at 50 colleges and universities. Students were asked 60 multiple-choice questions to measure their knowledge in four subject areas: America’s history, government, international relations, and market economy."

I invite you to take the quiz yourself HERE.

I took it and received a score of 83.33% (50 out of 60). I was disappointed that I did so poorly...or so I thought.

Then I saw the results from colleges around the country. And while I feel better about myself, this does little to encourage me about the future leaders of this country coming from Ivy League schools and knowing about as much about history and civics as my 11 year old.

Gee, ya think maybe our schools are spending too much time teaching classes like these?

My favorite farmer and Classics professor speaks to the what I think is part of the problem here as well.

Anyone else out there able to beat Harvard's finest?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yikes! I got 71% and still beat 'em.

Julie
Anonymous said…
49 out of 60 - made a couple bone headed mistakes...

SF
Liz in Seattle said…
42, with a couple of bone-headed mistakes of my own. Based on this quiz, I am statistically a Harvard senior. Can I get my diploma now?
alex. said…
Saw this the other day on another site. I scored a 90, which I attribute to being fairly well read, and not to having a coupla degrees.

Popular Posts