Meomory Eternal

Memory Eternal!

Don't forget why you are not at work today.

Comments

Liz in Seattle said…
Memory Eternal indeed. And our gratitude to each one, and to their beloved families.
Anonymous said…
Right. I'm remembering those who have died for both something and nothing during the 20th century. It kind of zeroes out, which reminds me that the World, as such, has NO meaning in and of itself apart from the Kingdom of God. And, just in case any of my jingoistic enthusiasts are still sentient enough to read this, the Kingdom of God quite definitely does NOT equal (fill in the nation or your most dubious choice).

OK, we did WWII. Wake up folks: That does not automatically validate everything we do after that. I mean, does the Faith mean anything, or what?

GP

GP
fdj said…
Methinks thou dost protest too much GP. Would you deny the grieving a day to remember their loved ones? What's jingoistic about that? I think your knee jerks too easily here, my friend.

One can offer a "Memory Eternal" for the people who gave up their lives for a cause whether we agree with said cause or not. No?

I'm not sure it matters either way in the context of offering prayers for the deceased - again, whether you agree or not with the reasoning of such death. Such prayers are certainly a great part of the Faith which - in answer to your question - does mean a great deal.
Anonymous said…
No, I don't deny the grieving anything, as though I could, anyway. It's just that, for the most part, the cause of their grief is, well, grievous. Sorry about the flippancy.

GP
fdj said…
the cause of their grief is, well, grievous

I would say that even in the most just of wars - however one may choose to define it - this is still very much the case.

Popular Posts