Ye Old Litrugical Library

Ye Old Liturgical Library

As I've noted before, as finances allow I am building a humble little liturgical library. Nothing fancy with which I might pour over vast resources and find obscure rubrics and canons to torture my priest with...but rather just a few tools with which I can be a more useful, educated, and prepared Reader.

One that I have struggled to find is "The Apostol" from STS Press. It's been out of print for quite sometime and all attempts to find one sitting amidst dust on some obscure bookstore shelf have failed. The new revised edition is still forthcoming and so I got in contact with Asst. Professor Sergei Arhipov who is working on the revision. Alas, they are hoping to have it available at year's end. Have four children really taught me any patience? Hmmmm....

Well if your cruise through Half-Priced Books and happen to see one, grab it for me.

Unrelated, but worthy of note: we find ourselves amidst a Goat Labor Watch. Another of many signs that I'm not in Bothell anymore (Toto) is when the Abbess comes in from the barn to give me the latest tendon vanishing and mucus flow report.

Comments

bob said…
Well, on a budget, there's always....the New Testament! Not neatly laid out with intro's, etc, but I have a source who tells me that the Apostol is actually taken *word for word* from the New Testament. I refuse to divulge my informant.
fdj said…
I like not how heretics organize heretical translations. I require copy organized as GOD Himself intended - properly including Prok and Allelu verse etc as was so in original.

And of course, all translated from God's language: slavonic.

;)

Seriously though, I want to be able to use and be more familiar with the tool. AND, I want to be able to practice the exact translation beforehand. Admittedly, it is a bit of a luxury item...but better than Halo 3 perhaps.
bob said…
And, as is utterly Traditional, the versions in the Apostol will be different from what the *other* books used on the particular day. Also the verses selcted frequently disagree with what is appointed from one book to the next. This is why the little interval between the start of the Trisagion and the Reader clearing his throat is actually the most exciting in all Orthodox Christendom.
fdj said…
Well, then, I reckon we readers steal the show, eh Bob!

Popular Posts