The Cheese Press Workout

The Cheese Press Workout

Last weekend I knocked together a simple little cheese press in order to expand our adventures in cheese making. Susan posted a pic at the SBF blog. (make sure you check out Professor Fankhauser's website that she has linked in the post).

We have been granted a few days of sun and this will no doubt give us some additional yield out of the garden....I'm still not sure why this growing season has seemed so short. I know we had a pretty late winter (even got snow in April) and that we were little late in getting started...but then maybe these two things combined with the fact that August was so cool and rainy was enough to make things so late in producing. Even the wild blackberries seem really late this year as they have only now reached their peak.

Anyway, I am looking down the barrel of accomplishing precious little from my "to do" list this weekend. Today we spent the day in Port Townsend visiting friends and then had to rush home in order to milk the goat, change, and go straight to Vespers. Tomorrow we have Liturgy of course, then Susan and Matushka are running down to visit and deliver food to a Parish family who just welcomed their first newborn! I will then head up to a friend's place in Kingston to buck up a downed tree and bring the wood home to add to our collection. Then we head back to Church for a fundraiser pizza dinner. Whew! But fun!

Homeschooling has started and I am teaching history. I've done two classes so far and I am really enjoying it. Soon I will also begin teaching Church School and it will be on Church History. As if my life were not busy enough, I am also planning - God willing - to start the OCA DVP program very soon, I'm just waiting for a few more papers to collect for the application.

Susan is also very busy with the homeschooling. She has, in addition, the weekly field trips with the coop, the extra curricular activities (swimming lessons and gymnastics - 3 times a week total in the early evening), women's fellowship on Mondays, and running the farm (milking 2x a day, feeding, cleaning stalls, watering, picking, weeding etc...) This all takes some juggling when I arrive home at 5:30-ish and we have to run to Vespers on Tuesday and Thursday each week with Vesper's Choir practice afterward on Tuesdays.

I don't know if this sounds as hectic as it feels sometimes, but I should also say that there is STILL plenty of time that we know we waste in a given day. I know my lazy butt takes far too much advantage of inventing leisure time. However, the weeks are flying by fast...and despite the pace M-F, I think we are all enjoying it. We love our Parish, we love our farm, and we love being amateur educators. As always though...much to do. Both in terms of sweat of our brow labor and sweat of our soul changes to our hearts. The latter is the most difficult...and the most important, which rather explains it doesn't it?

Anyway....make sure and go check out the pic of my cheese press in action. I have received a blessing from the SBF abbess to makes myself a batch of Jalepeno Mozzarella cheese. YES!

Comments

Mimi said…
The last line captures it all, doesn't it? Prayers. It does sound busy.

Popular Posts