What is Wisdom?

What is Wisdom?

While inspired by current politics, this article by VDH is none-the-less of greater interest in that our perception of wisdom - I think - is fundamentally lacking. He discusses here not just the attempts to make a small town mayor and rural state governor who merely attended a State school look like an idiot, but whether or not there is an entire font of wisdom that our culture largely ignores these days as being uncool and behind the times. We Orthodox should perceive the truth of this, no? Well, this from a more secular sense of wisdom. For myself, I rather listen to a callous-handed farmer than an Ivy League Attorney.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting post by VDH. I think most people prefer wishful thinking to wisdom. I don't know if farmers are innately more wise than everyone else, but I do know that most farmers that I know seem to have this built-in bullshit indicator and aren't afraid to call people when they, er, smell it.
fdj said…
Yeah, I agree....surely not every farmer is a bastion of "salt-o-the-earth" wisdom just as I am sure a few folks who make it out of Ivy League schools do so with some semblance of intelligence as opposed to intelligence-disguised ideological indoctrination.
Matt said…
yes. farmers should run for ofice more often.

Popular Posts