Autonomy Granted by Antiochian Patriarch

Many cynical (and some not so cynical) people believed that our petition to receive autonomy from the Patriarch would fall on deaf ears. Indeed a "normal" power and wealth hungry man would not wish to release any portion of what is his. But Patriarch IGNATIUS IV has shown himself to be above such accusations and I could not be happier! Indeed I am proud (God forgive me) to be apart of a Church in which such leaders exist!

from the synodal decision:
Patriarch Ignatius IV and the Holy Synod blesses the wish of its children in the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America, and recognizes their Archdiocese as autonomous. This will render their witness more powerful and more effective, as they identify with the civilization of North America.

Some of my non-Orthodox friends may not be too keen on the idea of being referred to as "children," but given the actions of our Patriarch (actions which I cannot say I would be able to do, were I in his shoes) my willingness to refer to him as my Father in Christ is fortified all the more, in the same context as St. Paul calling Timothy his spiritual child.

This Saturday is the Feast Day of St. Peter and Paul - the patron of my Parish: St. Paul Antiochian Orthodox Church and I expect it will be a real hum-dinger of a celebration this year!




Comments

Popular Posts