What God wants

We evangelicals really made a big deal about God "working" in our lives. We exert great amounts of energy in trying to find His will and direction in our lives. We constantly ask one another: "What is God doing in your life?" or "Where is God leading you?" Is THIS really the focus of our Christian Faith? Is God's will so amazingly specific for each and every person on this planet? Is it something we must strive to discover?

I wonder.

Or is there something more simple that we are missing? Maybe we are missing the mark by shooting at the wrong target? Are we, perhaps asking the wrong questions? Is our "walk" with God (whatever that means) simply a day by day process of discerning whether God wants us to contact a particular person or even on a larger scale: to understand what ministry God wants us to engage in? I am beginning to wonder if it is.

I think I know what God's will is for my life today: To TRULY love Him (I don't), to TRULY love my neighbor (I don't), to be patient with my children (I am not), to do justice (I don't), to love mercy (I do, but mainly only when it is applied to me), to be selfless (you know the routine by now), and on and on it goes.

Besides these, the rest of life's issues are minor details, and in the mind of the Eastern Fathers, they tend to work themselves out. For as we learn to be "partakers of the Divine Nature" we will have no need to SEEK God's will in these details. At such a place and a time we will have learned to fully conform our will to God's.

Theosis.





Comments

Anonymous said…
Man, I just want you to know I love your blog. I started from the beginning and am working my way forward. And if what I have read are any indication, I look forward to continuing to read. God bless.
~Aaron

Popular Posts