Death and New Life

Jennifer Palmer reposed yesterday morning. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. May her memory be eternal.

The internet is a funny thing...I've never met Jennifer or her family and yet in reading her husband's Live Journal over the last year or so, I have come to "know" them. I felt the slightest sliver of the loss which that family is going through now.

Meanwhile, we continue to wait to hear news from Janet, who we do know and has also been dignosed with terminal cancer. Also they have found a yet unidentified "nodule" in my Mother's lung...she has been a smoker all her life (up until a few years ago) and so we are of course concerned. Prayers please, her name is Brenda.

Damn Death. Our fault, all our fault.

But in the midst of all this death oriented mess, there is new life.

Aaron and Sara as well as Clifton and Anna could very well be AT THIS MOMENT bringing new life into the world. And yesterday I learned that my dear brother Seraphim and his wife will do the same sometime early next year. For all of these couples, it will be their first child. What joy! And in the midst of the truest joy there is seems to always be a hint of responsible fear - not unlike standing in the presence of God I would imagine.

In the faces of my children I can also see the promise of new life, there is vitality in the midst of dying. It clues us in on how the world should be; how the world WILL BE!

Terry Taylor wrote a song about a man saying goodbye to his terminally ill wife...the words I think are profoundly appropriate and I have a hard time hearing it within tearing up abit - even when I didn't know somebody who has just lost his wife and another somebody who is about to.

Rebecca, go home
Though you may be scared
Just close your eyes and let go
I'm not far behind you
Soon I'll meet you where the river of life ever flows

Yes, the Lord's been good to us
But now you're lyin' here
And I just found the right words
Can you hear them through my tears?

Rebecca, go home
I know you're tired
God knows I wish that you could stay
You've fought the good fight
You've been through the fire
Let every sweet memory light your way

Down to the little church
Our son has gone to pray
And now that we're alone, sweetheart
I feel that I can say...
Rebecca, go home

Oh, Rebecca, go home
Like when you were a child
Your daddy would call out your name
And you'd run through the dark fields
To the light of his smile
My guess is that Heaven is much the same

So don't you worry, I'll be alright
Sweet Rebecca my love...
Goodnight
Rebecca go home
Oh Rebecca, my love...
Goodnight.

Comments

Popular Posts