The Dictatorship of Taste
Beer Church, Part 2

Leonid Ouspensky in his book Theology of Icons describes what he perceives to be “the plague of our times” as a “dictatorship of ‘taste.’” In regards to the use of Icons in the Orthodox Church, we are reminded that we do not subject ourselves to the aforementioned tyranny – we do not create and display them as “religious art” per se (i.e. because we find them appealing: beautiful or just generally “hip”), but rather because they are TRUE. And by this, I do not mean that what they depict is theologically accurate, but more than that: their very existence (and veneration) is right, correct, even necessary.

We would not venerate a jaw dropping painting by Monet (even if he were to paint a picture of our Lord…as opposed to landscapes), but set before us a crude and poorly painted (by general artistic tastes) icon of Christ written by the hand of some unknown monastic hermit (for example) and we would happily inspire our protestant friends who might happen to be present to scream “idolatry!”

Beer Church is all about taste. Beer tastes good, parties taste good, and helping charities taste good. But most important of all, Beer Church affirms that in tasting your own heart, you should be able to see that it is good…right now, as it is. Change only need happen in the world outside of us. Beer Church accepts us, as we are. And thus we will remain.

Now, who can look at modern Christianity today and not also see what could be accurately described as a buffet table catering to the dictatorship of taste?

- I really like a church that emphasizes solid bible preaching.
- I really like a church that emphasizes lively and hip worship.
- I prefer quiet liturgical worship.
- A church that really grasps and appeals to the modern culture with all manner of media…now that’s the church for me.
- I like surprises….I like a church that is doing something NEW every Sunday.
- I like a church that considers truth as variable as taste.

You get the picture. And we aren’t even talking about theological differences here!

I suppose this would not necessarily be a bad thing, except that it divides us. Ouspensky quotes St. John of Damascus: “If each person could act according to his desire, little by little, the entire body of the Church would be destroyed.” (A prophecy perhaps?) But this is really a side point that doesn’t attempt to answer my original question of what makes Christ’s Church different (to the untrained eye) from Beer Church.

As I said, it has to do with what I eat.

Today I will not eat meat. I really like meat…and I can assure you that I will very much miss it. Furthermore, I will try and pray more today, to be more conscious of my thoughts and behavior. I will try and be slower to speak and quicker to see the needs of others. I am fasting today, not because my “taste” dictates it…quite the opposite really! I fast because the Church teaches and guides me, telling me that this time of serious emphasis on self-discipline tastes good. I’m not looking for some great spiritual revelation or an answer to some pressing prayer need…I’m simply following the path laid out by the Church before me. In a way, you could say that I am letting the Church taste me, as opposed to me tasting the Church. Do you see what I mean?

Medicine sometimes tastes terrible and unlike Beer Church, Christ’s Church insists that it must be taken regardless of how it tastes.

A happy feastday to all those who celebrate it today...even amidst the fast.

Comments

Popular Posts