Last Stand!

I once read a great book by this title…actually it’s full title was Last Stand! Famous Battles Against the Odds It is an in depth examination of numerous engagements in which one side is severely outgunned and or outnumbered and yet do not surrender, choosing rather to fight until the very last man. It is a fascinating topic…extreme human drama that is frightfully true. How these men must have felt and what motivated them is something I think a lot about.

No less dramatic - than reading the book anyway - is the Last Stand which I have fought for the past week, and I must now report the end of that most desperate and perilous clash. Over the last few days, I have watched in dismay as the virulent enemy has successfully scaled the immunological ramparts of my children and my wife. I ordered my defenses fortified: trenches dug deeper with spades of Vitamin C, walls of Zinc raised, single barreled cannons of bourbon were loaded and fired into the esophageal field of battle. All to no avail…and now – as the enemy floods the inner chambers of my castle - I must seriously wonder if there was ever really any hope? Probably not, but we must fight none-the-less. And I was indeed the last man standing in the Ferrenberg abode.


Comments

Popular Posts